Saturday, July 03, 2010

Air ball...

I love sports. I really do. I love to watch the competition and the drama of two forces going head to head to try and outdo the other. Sports logos on the other hand...

It absolutely drives me crazy how bad most of the identities in professional sports is. For some reason, the vast majority of bosses in the sporting world either have no sense of taste or have no clue what makes a good team logo. Does it not occur to them that if they have GOOD design that you could market it to people beyond your own rabid fan base? A few have done admirable jobs. The Milwaukee Admirals examined their fan base and where their gaps were and unveiled, in my opinion, a fantastic identity that a number of die-hards panned. It appealed to a wider market segment and in turn their merchandise sales went through the roof and into the stratosphere. Then you get logos like the Portland Trailblazers, New Orleans Hornets, Baltimore Ravens, Kansas City Royals and Buffalo Sabres. These are teams with multi-milliondollar payrolls and they can't shell out some half decent coin to get a good logo? Mind, you in the case of the Sabres, they reportedly forked out $200,000 to get their "Buffa-slug."

The minor leagues are even worse. Now, I understand that they don't have boatloads of money but it seems to me that if they spent just a little extra money on the brand they could do wonders in terms of team, community, and fan pride, support as well as the money in merchandising a causal fan might be willing to spend.

Which brings me to this. The Golden State Warriors announced their new look. Don't get me wrong, their old look was bad, but this... is not necessarily an improvement.
Brand New writes a column about why this is not so golden...

*sigh* Someone pay me obscene amounts of money to do this and I promise it'll be better than this

No comments: